Coconut Shrimp is one of our favorite shrimp recipes, and we’re sure it will make your mouth water too. If you’re a coconut shrimp fan, you’ll love how easy it is to make them from the convenience of your own kitchen.
Why Cook with Shrimp
Shrimp has so much flavor, making it a fantastic option for an array of appetizers and meals. Preparation is typically quick and easy with any recipe, making them an ideal go-to choice if you’re planning a dish last minute. As long as you have your eye on them, shrimp are practically foolproof for even a novice cook, with several telltale signs of doneness. Whether serving hot or chilled, there’s little room for debate when planning your next seafood dish.
Alternative Cooking Methods for Shrimp
While our delicious coconut shrimp recipe calls for oil-frying your battered shrimp, there are other methods you may prefer. Let’s take a look at alternative cooking methods you may want to explore for your coconut shrimp recipe:
Air Fryer Method
Air fryers are an incredible option for any meal. Quick and efficient, air fryers offer fabulous taste, texture, and the perfect shade of golden-brown your oil-fried foods have, without the additional health concerns. Air frying presents a healthier alternative by drastically lowering your fat consumption and offering up to an eighty percent reduction in calories.
If air frying your coconut shrimp sounds like a suitable option, follow the recipe's preparation and battering steps. Once you’re ready to crisp your shrimp, lightly coat them with cooking spray to prevent sticking to the air fryer basket. Line your battered shrimp on the basket and set your temperature to 400 degrees. You’ll air fry each side for approximately three minutes before turning them over, watching for the perfect golden-brown color.
Another healthy alternative to frying your coconut shrimp oil is to bake them in the oven. It’s a quick alternative with minimal cleanup and still offers that delicious crispy texture. Before your batter dredging, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and pre-heat your oven to 435 degrees. Alternatively, you can lightly coat your battered shrimp with oil or cooking spray and lay them on a non-stick pan. Place your shrimp in a single layer with enough room between them, so they do not touch. Bake your shrimp for five minutes, flip, then bake for an additional five minutes or until the outside is a crisp golden brown. Test one for doneness, ensuring a pearly opaque white meat.
Best Tips for Cooking Shrimp
- We highly recommend using Panko breadcrumbs. They are our secret weapon to ensure that crispy crunch every time.
- Your shrimp will turn a pearly opaque color when they are thoroughly cooked.
- Shrimp cook extremely fast, so be mindful of your temperatures and keep an eye on them for doneness. Overcooking will yield a tough, chewy shrimp.
- If you’re cooking with the tails on, they will turn bright red when thoroughly cooked.
- If your shrimp are frozen, place them in a bowl of cold water and set aside to thaw. Warm water will ruin the shrimp’s texture, so plan accordingly.
For your next shrimp recipe, order your seafood through our home delivery services for all your seafood needs.
Crispy Coconut Shrimp Recipe
yield: 4-6 SERVINGS prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 10 MINUTES total time: 20 MINUTES
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1- 2 lb bag XL white shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Sweet chili sauce, for serving
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine Panko breadcrumbs and shredded coconut in a large bowl and set aside.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper to taste. Next, dredge shrimp (one at a time) in the flour, dip into the eggs, then dredge in the coconut mixture, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add shrimp to the skillet and fry until evenly golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately with sweet chili sauce, if desired.