There’s nothing quite like biting into a flavorful garlic honey shrimp just off the stove. The aroma of garlic, honey, and soy sauce alone is enough to bring your family rushing to the dinner table in anticipation. So, if you’re browsing for something new to try with your succulent shrimp this evening, search no further. This delicious recipe brings plenty of serving options and guarantees full stomachs and smiling faces.
Preparing Your Shrimp
Whether you bring home fresh shrimp from the seafood counter, a bag of frozen shrimp from the freezer aisle, or place your online home delivery order for fresh shrimp and seafood with optimal convenience, preparing them is a breeze.
Thawing your frozen shrimp can happen one of two simple ways:
- Place your shrimp in a bowl or colander and run them under cool water until defrosted. Just don’t get impatient and use warm or hot water, potentially affecting the texture and taste.
- If you do not have immediate preparation plans, leave your frozen shrimp in the fridge to defrost. Plan for roughly twenty-four hours for a pound of shrimp.
If your shrimp are already shell, tail, and vein free, you’re ready to go. If not, follow the raw shrimp cleaning suggestions to prepare them after defrosting.
Thawed, Raw Shrimp
Raw shrimp that still has its shell, tail, and or vein needs a few extra minutes of care than most prepared frozen selections but is still easy enough for all you novice shrimp chefs out there. Rinse your shrimp under cool water as you gently remove its shell, detail, and devein. If you prefer to leave your shrimp shells on, use your kitchen shears to pierce through and cut along the curved back of the shell. Then continue your cleaning process.
Garlic Honey Shrimp Appetizer
If you already have a meal in mind, why not use your shrimp as an impressive appetizer? Garlic honey shrimp make the perfect meal starter for a seafood feast, pasta dish, or healthy grilled chicken plate. They are simple enough to prepare and take little time to cook but bring so much pleasure to the pallet as an appetizer teaser. Garnish with your favorite greens and provide a small bowl of soy sauce for dipping.
Garlic Honey Shrimp Side Dish
This delicious shrimp recipe is perfect for pairing with your main course. Serve it alongside your mouth-watering steak or as a side dish to your crab leg feast. If you’re grilling chicken for dinner tonight, add a few garlic honey shrimp and a side of sautéed vegetables.
Garlic Honey Meal Variations
Shrimp pair well with almost anything you can imagine and this garlic honey recipe is no exception. Traditionally, it is served over a piping bowl of steamed rice, using the leftover sauce to drizzle over the top. It tastes just as delicious if you choose to fold your shrimp into your favorite Asian noodles, although linguine and fettuccine work just as well. These tasty shrimp are incredible over a crisp salad if you prefer a lighter meal option.
Whichever serving option you choose to create, we know you’ll love this recipe as much as we do!
Garlic Honey Shrimp Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs shrimp
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ lime, squeezed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon, lime, or greens to garnish
- Prepare your shrimp, removing shells, tails, and veins.
- In a small bowl, dip your shrimp into the cornstarch to completely cover, then set aside on a dish and repeat for all.
- Preheat your skillet on medium with your vegetable oil.
- Place shrimp into the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Your cooking time will vary slightly for raw versus pre-cooked shrimp. Cut into one shrimp to check for a pearly white color, showing they are cooked through.
- Remove shrimp from the skillet and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix your garlic, lime juice, soy sauce, ginger, and honey.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet and stir for several minutes as it begins to thicken.
- Add your shrimp back into the skillet and sauté in the mixture for 1-2 minutes to coat thoroughly.
- Remove and serve immediately.